The Lloyd family in Wednesbury
Hobs Hole Colliery
The ancient family seat was at Dolobran, Montgomeryshire.
The connection with Wednesbury was established in 1727, when Sampson Lloyd the II married Sarah, daughter of Richard Parkes, the owner of Hobs Hole Colliery.
Sampson (II) was an iron master and banker, who purchased, Owen’s Farm, Sparkbrook, in 1742. He and his son, Sampson Lloyd were the founders of Lloyds Bank.
One of his 17 children was Samuel, also a banker.
He was the father of Samuel Jnr., known as “Quaker Lloyd”, who was born in 1795.
It was Samuel Jnr who was to leave such a mark on Wednesbury’s 19th century history.
In 1818 he moved to the town to develop the mining estate, which formerly belonged to Richard Parkes.
He became famous for his development of the Old Park Ironworks, and for his adherence to the Quaker movement, habitually dressing in clothes characteristic of the Society of Friends.
He married Mary Honychurch of Falmouth, in 1823, and set up home at The Hollies, Wood Green.
By the mid-19th century, the Messrs. Lloyds Foster and Co. Old Park Works was the town’s leading ironworks, employing 1200 hands.
The Old Park Works were sold to The Patent Shaft Axletree Company in 1867, five years after Quaker Lloyd’s death.
His eldest son was Samuel Lloyd III, born at The Hollies in 1827. He moved to Birmingham in 1870, and in 1895, issued “The Corrected English New Testament”.
Second son, Francis Henry Lloyd, founded the well-known firm of F.H. Lloyd, at James Bridge.
Other sons were Joseph Foster Lloyd (born 1833), Wilson Lloyd (born 1835) and William Henry (born 1839).
His daughters included Rachael Jane (1824), Mary (1826), Sarah (1831), Anna (1837).
His fourth son Wilson Lloyd became a J.P., Alderman, M.P. in 1885 and 1892, and was elected Wednesbury’s second Mayor (in 1888-1890).
His youngest son William Henry Lloyd J.P. became the town’s fourth Mayor, from 1892-1894, during which time his sister, Anna, acted as Mayoress.
In 1896, W.H. Lloyd presented a stained glass window to the newly-opened Science School, in Wednesbury, depicting Willingsworth furnaces.
But by the turn of the century, most of the Lloyds had left the town.
W.H. Lloyd moved to Hatch Court, near Taunton, a home with 350 acres of land, which he purchased on leaving Birmingham, in 1899. He Married in September 1895, to Miss Chermside, of Rugby”.
And now a nice little twist to the tale of the Lloyds.
Many, many years later someone found an old journal amongst a boxful of old books, in Kettering.
Realising that the journal wasn’t about his own county, he was advised to send it on to The Bugle.
It is a very unique one hundred page hand written travel journal, a precise record of this persons every move on a 15,000 mile journey.
His meticulous notes, incorporating maps and drawings, suggests that he was a man clear in thought, and dedicated in deed.
The writer was William Henry Lloyd.
The Bugle then wrote a very extensive article about this Journal.